Indications, advantages and disadvantages of Zirconia
Zirconia is a ceramic material used for prosthodontic prosthesis such as crowns and bridges. It is stronger than porcelain, corrosion resistant , translucent and has high flexural strength.
- Single crowns
- Multiple crowns and bridges
- Full mouth rehabilitation cases
- Mild to moderate discolored teeth
- Esthetically superior
- Color stability maintained
- Expected life is more than 5 years
- Biocompatible and highly corrosion resistant
- High flexural strength
- Used in patients with metal allergies
- Manifacturing process provides the patient with a precise fit thus reducing the chair side time of adjusting the prosthesis
- Elasticity is poor
- Damages internal tooth structure, Tmj joint, alveolar bone.
- Repairs are almost impossible